The Nature of Creativity with Denise Kester
…or check it out wherever you enjoy podcasts:
In this episode of the Wake Up, Human podcast, I talk with Denise Kester, an artist, writer, teacher and dream-keeper, about the fundamental power of creativity.
My conversation with Denise explores creativity as a portal to our deepest knowing, a source of inspiration, information, and contribution. We’ll weave through discussions on creativity as a doorway to the unconscious, the relationship between creativity and dreaming, and the notion that creativity is not a luxury, but an essential need of the human being.
We’ll talk about strategies for accessing our creativity, including Denise’s practice for getting out of our heads and into our bellies. We’ll discuss the phenomenon of “art abuse,” and why it’s important not to listen to critics and judges of our creative work, internal or external. We’ll learn why it’s important to exercise our “imagination muscle.” And we’ll explore the essential truth that every one of us is an artist, in our own unique way.
Denise is an elder, a grandmother, and a wise woman, and a teacher to be grateful for. I hope you’ll enjoy learning from her as much as I did.
You can learn more about Denise, and find her book and her beautiful artwork, at her website, www.drawingonthedream.com.
Our conversation was inspired by Denise’s video, “Important Things to Remember,” available here.
Enjoy the episode, and let me know what you think!
Episode at a glance: (some of) what you’ll learn by listening
- How does creative work help to connect us, and remind us that we’re not alone?
- What is the key practice Denise recommends for getting in touch with our creativity?
- What is our “imagination muscle,” and how do we exercise it?
- Why should we choose our words carefully when talking about our own and others’ creativity?
- What advice would Denise give to someone who believes they’re not creative, or “not an artist”?
- And why the world really needs you to remember that you are an artist, too.
There’s a monthly digest of this stuff…
Thank you so much for visiting! If you liked this offering, you can sign up below to receive the monthly Wake Up, Human digest, which includes writings, podcast episodes, and other offerings, sent on or near the time of the full moon. Have something to share or suggest? Head over to my contact page and drop me a line.